Friday, January 6, 2012

What I Love About Video Art

Video art is a great thing because of the way you are able to tell a story. With most art you have a single object that makes it more difficult to put meaning into it. With video art you can have as much meaning whether it is the words that are used or the actions or even the way that it’s edited etc. Video art gives you more room to be creative. My favorite part about video art is the editing. Editing to me is so fun and creative. When I first was able to work with editing software I played with it forever just getting myself familiar with all the things that it was able to do. Slowing things down or putting other visual effects on my work was something that I really enjoyed doing. Editing isn’t just about those things though, because even the simple changes and effects are exciting as well. One of my first projects in Video Art 1 I did a lot of different camera changes and since I was only using one camera I wanted the scenes to flow together and look as if I was using multiple cameras. Being able to put different clips together and with the right timing and the right transition was simple and made the video flow smoothly as well. I truly want to learn more and get more familiar with different software and techniques that make my videos look more professional so that one day I am able to use them to my benefit in making a great career for myself. 

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoy editing and enhancing my work through the use of effects, without abusing them, as well. I have recently received my first HD video camera and I am super excited to use it for this class. I enjoy using multiple cameras and angles for the effect, as you have mentioned, also. I thought your projects were successful in Video Art I, so I am interested in seeing what you create and how you have grown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your first sentence about the way you are able to tell a story. Video Art is a visual form of a book I think. I have to say that I'm right there with you and Leah about enjoying the editing and enhancing part of the class. Even though I love shooting the footage or taking the pictures for the Video, its all about the editing and what effects you can add to the overall product. I eventually would love to work high up in the movie or game graphics, so these classes are mandatory and very important for me to be able to reach those kind of heights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playing with footage as far as effects, speed etc. is also my favorite part of working with video. I think that's when you can really create or even completely change the whole mood/atmosphere of the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how much you can change a video in the editing process. You can have really simplistic clips or you can rearrange them and recreate a totally new message. Its really awesome what editing can do to video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how much you can change a video in the editing process. You can have really simplistic clips or you can rearrange them and recreate a totally new message. Its really awesome what editing can do to video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy your use of subtle effects and story telling being a major part of your pieces. I enjoyed your work in Video I. I too am drawn to the use of effects. I like to make changes that are hard to notice yet play a major role in the piece. Changing the speed to be faster or slower is not always easily noticeable but it can greatly change the look and feel of a video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You hit the point of difference that video art has the capability of right off the bat, and I like what you’re shooting for. (But my experience says you’re better off in cinema if conveying something’s your thing) Editing is my favorite part of the process as well, love taking something that doesn’t mean much on its own and making it in to something. Just wondering, what was the first Video Editor you played with?

    ReplyDelete